-How is the J-Visa’s duration determined?

Based on your qualifications if you are an intern it will be for up
to 12 months, and if you are a trainee, it will be up to 18 months.

-Can interns (trainees) get extensions?

Based on each applicant’status and situation, extensions are possible. Contact us for details.

-Are employers required to provide medical insurance to the J-visa interns?

Interns are required to obtain State Department specified health insurance
and prepay medical insurance premiums before applying for J visa.
Employers of interns are not required to provide health insurance premiums.

-Do I need a Social Security card?
You are required to apply for a Social Security card once you arrive in the U.S. to help you in all administrative and legal matters. Be aware there can be long delays receiving your Social Security card.
We advise you to apply as soon as possible after you arrive. Please contact the U.S. Social Security
Office at their website

-Am I subject to U.S. income taxes?
If you are paid by your host organization, any wages you earn in the U.S. will be subject to “income tax” withholding. Make sure you give your employer your Social Security number as soon as you receive it so any required taxes can be deducted from your paycheck. A J1 Visa holder may be exempt from certain taxes,
including Social Security Tax, Medicare, and Federal Unemployment Tax.

-Are J-visa interns required to pay the social security tax?

No, J-Visa interns and the hosting company providing the training are both exempt from the social security tax and FUTA (Federal Unemployment Tax Act) according to U.S.

-Can the immediate family members of the J-1 visa holder accompany him/her to U.S.?

Spouse and children through J-2 visa are allowed to accompany the J-1 visa holder to the U.S.

-How long can I stay in the U.S. on J-1 visa?
When you enter the U.S. on an exchange visitor visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your program.

-Can I extend my training or stay longer?
Yes. The goal of an exchange program under the J1 Visa category is for a participant to return home upon completion of job training to apply what was learned in his or her home country.
If you wish to extend, you must show that you either have at least $500 available to you per month to cover your and your dependents’ living expenses. A new DS2019 form will need to be issued and your health insurance will need to be extended.

-Are Training placements paid or unpaid?
We used to`offer volunteer training placements and internships. In some cases a small monthly stipends offered by the host organizations (stipends normally range between $500-$1,000 per month; some hosts provide fellowships for which you need to apply. Please inquire directly with the host organization).

-Can I study on J-1 visa?
Yes, you may study while on J-1 visa. However, you may not join a full length program like an F-1.

-Are there any travel restrictions on J-1 visa?
No, there are no travel restrictions on J-1 visa. You may plan with your employer and travel out of the U.S. any number of times while on valid J-1 visa. However you must get an approval from your sponsor organization before travel.

-What is the grace period on J-1 visa?
As J-1 exchange visitor, you are permitted to remain in the country up to 30 days past the end date of your Form DS-2019. This time is to allow you time for tourism and packing. You do not have work authorization during this time.

-If I am unhappy with my training placement, can I change my host?
We will review any request on a case-by-case basis. Please provide a written reason why you wish to change your host and allow five to ten days for our written reply. We require at least 60-days advance notice.

-What is included in my participation fee?
Administration fee, Costs associated with monitoring, mentoring, and evaluation during placement,Invitation to semi-annual, two-day orientation session in Washington, DC.